Saturday, April 14, 2012

Maycee's Tender Heart

As many of you know our neighbors have chickens. We share the eggs and a little of the responsibilities with them. The chickens used to roam the back yard but we have more recently been keeping them shut in the coop (due to me being frustrated of the poop every where). We also added another small fenced area for them to roam. It's just a simple fence that is only about 3 feet tall or so.

Well one of Maycee's favorite things to do is feed the chickens our table scraps. We have a milk jug with the top cut off that we fill with our scraps after each meal and then we will feed it to the chickens (they are more like pigs because they really eat just about anything).

We had an early dinner this evening and we had taken are scraps out, well I did. Maycee didn't have shoes on so I just quickly went to take care of it. When I came back in Maycee was so sad that I done "her" job. I noticed a small bowl that I had forgotten and Maycee asked if she couldn't take that one out. I agreed and she hurriedly put her shoes on.

She happily went out to toss the contents of the plastic bowl over the small fence to the chickens. I went back to the sink to finish some dishes. Not soon after I heard a small voice crying and knew that it was Maycee. I started to walk to the back door to see what could be the problem. I met her there with tears in her eyes. Of coarse as I opened the glass storm door I asked her what ever was the problem. She responded with a whimper in her voice, "I dropped the bowl over the fence!"

I knew at that moment that she was worried that those chickens were going to eat that bowl too and that she might never see her little purple plastic again! Maycee has this idea that chickens have an evil side and could eat even her. And her sweet little innocent tender heart couldn't bare the thought that might happen.

She quickly asked me to hurry and go get the bowl. I finished some things in the kitchen and then went after it. She watched and waited by the door. She was going to make sure that I got that little purple plastic bowl!

The wind was blowing and cold so I made quick of my task. I reached over the fence and grab the bowl. And here is the best part....

As I turned around I saw Maycee standing in the door way behind the glass of the storm door. She had her arms raised high in the air, V formation, fists clenched, cheering "hooray"!!! She was so excited I saved the bowl!

For that short moment in time I was the super hero of the day! It was a wonderful feeling!

I just love my little girls. I love that Maycee has this sweet little heart that cares about so many things, even little purple plastic bowls. I love that she thinks I am a super hero! I love being a mom and so grateful that Heavenly Father has given me the chance to do so. :)

4 comments:

Sharon said...

What a story to cherish for years to come! :)

Angie said...

It's only a matter of time till these sweet children of ours turn into teenagers. I hope that they can still see me as a hero sometimes at that time too.
I loved the story!

Unknown said...

Oh, sweet, little Maycee! she is so tender and darling! Thank you for sharing your super-hero story!

ashley kelepolo said...

Like! Like! Like!