Thursday, May 13, 2010

Bathroom

Alright, I cant wait any longer.......

The bathroom is not completely finished but I cant wait any more. I want to show everyone all the work that Blake and I have put into this bathroom. We have worked on many other projects on this house together but this is our most recent and probably most involved. (Maybe ill do some more before and afters on a later post of other projects.)
I am sad to say that I wish I would have taken more pictures. As the process was happening I thought that I was doing really well at taking pictures. But, now I see them and there are alot of times during this post that I thought, " Oh, I wish I had a picture of that!"ANYWAY....

Here is some BEFORES...

Look at this BEAUTIFUL vanity



And equally beautiful bathtub!


This bathroom was a two-for-one kinda deal. You got the old fixtures, and all the gunk and scum from the past thirty years with it! Just what we always wanted!!!


Upon Signing papers Blake and I, along with alot of friends and family, started taking the house apart. This bathroom was completely gutted! (excepted for the toilet. It didn't look to bad and was still in good working order.) Thanx to Allee and Mom Brimhall for demoing the bathroom while I was at work :)
Unfortunately I dont have a picture of the bathroom empty :( First picture I took when we started working on the bathroom again we already had the NEW tub back in. So just try to use your imagination as to what it looked like without the NEW tub in.

let the PROCESS begin!

Blake had to redo some of the plumbing so that you just use one knob to turn the water on not two. This is him working on it now.


He is such a handy guy to have around :) And has the cutest smile!!! (if you watch Blakes hair in all the pictures I have taken of this project you can see it get longer. He is in need of a hair cut NOW!)


Once the tub was in it was time to get started on the TILE!


Notice how Blakes shoulder is very wet in this picture. Once I showed him how to use the saw (ie. put the blade cover down) he didn't get wet anymore! Your welcome honey :)

Here goes the first Tile!!! Down.... Set..... DRY!!!!! Blake finished the first row that night and then we were both tired. We got up the next morning...... Blake went to work and I finished tile on the floor.



Put the grout in the next day (tile has to cure for 24hours)



Around that same time Blake got all the backer board up on the wall around the shower so that we could hang the tile on the wall. Notice the Toilet found a temporary home in the tub while the tile on the floor was put in and cured.


I spent the next few days hanging Tiles on the wall. Since the tiles are SOOO heavy we only did one row at a time so that we didnt have to worry about the tiles sagging. Also between the tile going up in the shower I painted walls. So wall color first and then you can see the tile go up.

Before Paint



After Paint....


I don't know how well this color looks on your screen but is PURPLE, not pink! Its almost a plumb color. More of an antiqued looking purple. Its very soft on the eyes :) Blake kept calling it pink for a while and it was really bothering me! So know you know when you come over you can say "oh, what a purple looking bathroom!" Thank you - April

Here is the tile in the shower.....

More tile......


And More Tile........(also notice the new vanity, just a corner of it)


And its grouted too!!! (the bathtub got cleaned out too)

Whats that? You say there is a corner piece missing at the top? Oh ya!!! Well guess what, it is STILL not in :( In my rush of trying to put the last few pieces in, I just placed that piece up there with out any thin set (glue) and then went to make some other cuts. I came back and put those cuts back up and cleaned up thinking I was done. The next day I went to grout and noticed that piece was not glued in place! UGH!!! I wanted to pull my hair out!!! I wonder how long it will be before it gets put in....... any guesses???????

And here is a better picture of the vanity



Yes, Blake is cleaning the toilet with his hand IN THE GROSS TOILET WATER.
He is a trooper!

After all the tile was in with the new fixtures and walls painted then came the fun part, ACCESSORIZING!!!

If you ever need home goods, shop at ROSS. they will give you the best bang for your buck.
and..... drum roll please.........


!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AFTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


So it might not look like much but let me explain a little. This bathroom is only 5' x 8' so its kinda hard to get the full affect with one little camera shot.

This is another angel...


I have plans to get a more cute matching soap dispenser, haven't done that yet. Also to buy a mirror with a frame is pretty expensive. So i bought the one you see here and have plans to make a really cute frame for really cheap. (ill show ya later)


I also have a great idea to make some fun towel hooks to go on the wall opposite the toilet



Take a look at this shower curtain though, it was on clearance and after using a gift card I had it was only
$1.96
!!!

Also you can't tell from the picture very well but the shower curtain is one of those new-fangled curved rod, it makes the world of difference! As Woody says in the first toy story movie, " If you don't have one, GET ONE!"(Woody is referring to a moving buddy (and if your a Russell you already knew that) and I am referring to the curtain rod.) Blake likes to call the hula hoop shower.

This bathroom project was a lot of fun and A LOT of WORK!!! I am glad that it is over.... well mostly. We still have trim to put up, a few other little odd jobs, those few other things that I talked about making, oh and that one more piece of tile.
Im happy to say that Blake and I did it ourselves and that we didn't have to hire someone out. Im also happy to say that we did it
TOGETHER!!! I love you Blake!
If you have any questions about how we did something or how much something cost us or how much we change for labor (ha ha) feel free to ask !!! :)




5 comments:

Jenny said...

April that's amazing! Way to go!

Raena and Sebastian Tellez said...

It looks awesome April!! Great job. I'll have to see it in person to clearly understand that it is not pink. But who knows I am color blind after all! :)

Angie said...

Way to go, girl! What a big job, but you were patient and took your time...
I love they way you've decorated and what a great feeling to know that you got such a great deal on it all by doing it yourselves!
BTW, you're lucky to have to bathrooms cause we only have 1 and it's 5'X7' AND there is only 1 outlet (not 2). there is only 1 spot for a plug (and it only fits small plugs, so we can only use it for our toothbrush charger; everything else we use an extension cord. You'll see it all when you get here.
I need to shop more like you though, you always find the good deals!

The Russell Bustle said...

Blake and April the bathroom is just great! Yes we did know what Movie you were quoting... "Get one" how fun! LOVE IT! You guys are awesome. What a great team.

Unknown said...

April, you are an inspiration! The bathroom looks amazing! I would love to have your drive to fix up my house! It would sure look great, if I did!