Wednesday, February 3, 2010

"Hair stuff"

Alrighty then.....

So lately I have been into making these, well for lack of a better word "hair things". I've had a few people ask how I make them. As much as I'd like to take the credit for saying these were my idea, I can't. I had a very patient sister-in-law, Caskie, show me how to do it.... So here we go I'm gonna explain the best I can, with the help of pictures of coarse.


Lets do the simple one first.




Cut a long strip of fabric about an 1 1/2 inches wide. The length is up to you it really depends on how full you want your piece. This one is about 16 in. long. Run a basting stitch along one edge. Pull on one thread to gather your fabric. Make sure to tie off your ends so that gather stays in place. Start with the middle and wrap the fabric around until its the shape you want. Hot glue in place. Add fun accessories to the middle. Glue an alligator clip on the back.




This Next one isn't much harder just a little more time consuming...


Here are all the pieces you'll need. Again the size is dependant on what you want.




I like to use a stiffer fabric for the bottom of this one. The white piece is heavy Linen, its a little stiffer. The little rosette thing is also the linen with a basting stitch and gathered.





Take 1 of the 4 circles at a time, fold in fourths, and run a stitch through it.








Place all the pieces together and stitch all together.




Add your center piece and your done.




Try different kinds of patterns and fabrics. These also make fun little brochettes to dress up a
Sunday or date night outfit. its really all about what you want

These are some other ones that I have made. The top two are the second pattern that I explained. The bottom two are the simple basting stitch pattern. The purple one however I folded the fabric in half before I put the basting stitch on so its a little more of a clean look.

3 comments:

svstuartfam said...

April, those are so cute! Unfortunately I'm terrible at following written instructions (even with pictures--especially when it comes to sewing). Maybe I'll have to call you and have you explain them. You talented little thing! I think those are adorable. Thanks for sharing!

Jenny said...

Wow--look at you go! Those are really cute!

Sharon said...

How fun! I'll have to try my hand at it!